Friday, January 9, 2009

Some old photos.


Since I visited New York City for the first time at the age of 13, I always dreamed of spending my entire life there. I would marvel at the purple flags hanging from buildings by Washington Square Park, crossing my fingers that one day I would wear that color and enter those buildings. I worked tirelessly, never forgetting my only goal. As far as I was concerned, New York City was where I was meant to be and it was only a matter of time before I got there.


By the time I was 17, I was singing an entirely different tune. For most of my childhood, I ignored the District of Columbia despite its proximity- a whopping 30 feet from my house. As my taste in music developed, I became fixated on the local music scene. After a few months of frequenting the 9:30 Club and Black Cat, I stumbled across These United States. I instantly fell in love with their live shows - their sound is fun and interesting; their jaunty demeanor intoxicating. For many months, I went to every show I could- trying to capture their live show in photographs. Through These United States, I found more and more local musicians and discovered a community within a city I previously thought had nothing to offer me. I started to wonder if I really could leave a city I was just beginning to appreciate.


  
I applied to NYU and a handful of DC schools, figuring I would probably end up staying in the area. I wavered for months, constantly questioning my decision. Winter came around and I had a better reason than ever to stick around. But the letter came and I did what I thought was right. 

And now I live in New York City, a decision I'm ultimately happy about, however I feel a resistance to really letting myself live out my life there.  You would hardly know I'm living in New York City - I have very little to show for the past four months. A few snaps here and there, but all together very little effort. Maybe I just don't want to confront it yet- that I've left DC but can't quite feel at home in New York. My hope is that I'll start sifting through it more - picking up my camera and noticing the things around me in my new environment. We'll see.





No comments:

Post a Comment