Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mobile, Alabama









The past four days I was in Mobile, Alabama participating in Habitat for Humanity with other NYU students. My opinion of the trip was mixed- I understand that the goal of Habitat for Humanity is not just to build houses but it emphasizes that the builders themselves should have an interesting experience. Throughout the trip I was uncomfortable that the work I was doing wasn't especially good (my construction skills are lacking to say the least) and that the whole process wasn't especially efficient or effective. Perhaps I would feel differently if we had spent more time working and I could see more progress.











Mobile itself is different from most places I've been. I'm unaccustomed to the sprawling cities of the south. Also, it appears that almost everything in downtown Mobile closes by 6. Nights were dull and I usually spent them seeking out what few vegan options they have in the south- not an easy task between soul food and seafood restaurants. Either way, it was great to get to know my classmates.








On our last afternoon, we left the Habitat for Humanity site early and visited a community program called "The Light of the Village" in the most crime ridden neighborhood of Mobile. The Light of the Village was started by a married couple from New Mexico who explain that God put it in their heart to bring them to Mobile and help disadvantaged youth. The community center was built from what was a crack house and eventually developed into a summer camp and then even a school with about 10 kids. The couple who started the Light of the Village explained how one volunteer has taken in at least 20 children who were found abandoned by their parents, living in houses without running water or electricity.











The children were cute and fun to play with but it was very sad to see how their behavior reflects their upbringing- or lack thereof. The couple's optimism was incredible, however they wouldn't take credit for what they had done- still emphasized that it was God who allowed them to have the strength to do it. Regardless, it's a pretty incredible task to take on.



No comments:

Post a Comment